Re: [igraph] Questions about decompose.graph?

From: Zhijiang Wang
Subject: Re: [igraph] Questions about decompose.graph?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:39:09 +0800

Dear Tamas,

Thanks for your so clear answer.
For the 2nd question, maybe there are two points:
one is the overlapping com. agrithm, the other is the drawing methods or functions.
In fact, I am eager to know how to draw like that, that is, setting a background color for each area of component.

于 2011-10-5 17:40, Tamas Nepusz 写道:

When I call decompose.graph, which can seperate a graph into components, I
have two questions:

1. What's the seperation rules? Or what measure is used in a graph
decomposition?
decompose.graph simply returns the weakly or strongly connected components
of a graph; i.e., if vertex A is reachable from vertex B and vice versa,
then A and B will be in the same component.

2. Please see the following graph drawing, each component is drawn in a
color as the backgrounds. Who can tell me how can do this?
igraph includes several non-overlapping community detection functions that
can decompose graphs into the modules you show on the picture. Take a look
at these help pages in R:

?edge.betweenness.community
?fastgreedy.community
?leading.eigenvector.community
?spinglass.community
?walktrap.community

However, the figure you showed contains *overlapping* communities, and none
of the above functions actually gives you overlapping ones. If you need an
overlapping community detection method, it only takes a few lines of code to
implement it:

http://igraph.wikidot.com/community-detection-in-r#toc0

--
Best wishes,