[igraph] Large Network Visualization in Igraph

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [igraph] Large Network Visualization in Igraph
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:30:11 +0200

Dear All,
Suppose you are given a large (about 10^5 nodes), but sparse network.
Is Igraph still a suitable tool for visualization? My question borders a bit the 'marketing' aspect of network science (people strive to produce cute visualizations).
I wonder if
(1) Igraph+eventually Cairo is able to handle this and produce vectorial pdf files (2) is there any possibility of generating, if not the interactive visualization in igraph, at least an output file which can be fed to pajek, gephi (http://gephi.org/) or cytoscape?

An example (possible with the R bindings for igraph) would help me a great deal.

Many thanks

Lorenzo