Re: [igraph] Python-Igraph cannot find Igraph

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Python-Igraph cannot find Igraph
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:12:24 +0000

Hi Alessandro,

Unfortunately, in order to take advantage of the cluster I should use the queue shell, and in that case I got the following error:

ImportError: /homeb/antonucc/igraph/core.so: undefined symbol: igraph_vector_destroy

As I remember, this probably means that the Python interpreter is not able to find igraph.

Yes, that's right, but I'm not sure how to solve it as I've never used Sun Grid Engine. What I'd try is the following:

1. Instead of symlinking the igraph libraries (libigraph.so and such), I would add the directory containing them to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. For instance, in my university machine, I have a local lib/ subdirectory in my home containing all the libraries that I built from source and it is permanently added to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.profile as follows:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(this works only if you're using bash or a bash-compatible shell)

2. When submitting the job to the grid engine, export your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the exec nodes so they will also use it as a custom library path. I guess this can be done by qsub -v LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I'm not sure. I'm shamelessly stealing the syntax from http://biowiki.org/HowToUseSunGridEngine .

--
Tamas