ibija-devel

[Ibija-devel] need of a memory arena system

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: [Ibija-devel] need of a memory arena system
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:57:35 -0400

Hi ibija hackers,

I think there is a need for a memory management system on top of the glib-2 memory management system.

Here are the reasons for such a need:

*We need to implement a fast memory allocation/deallocation system to boost the whole ibija system.

*Ibija needs to be able to perform memory statistics accounting. The type of memory statistics that ibija could provide are the following:
                -Number of allocated bytes between two dates.
                -Number of allocated bytes between two dates.
                -The memory that is still in use.
                -The frequency of allocation of different size.
                -The amount of memory used by ibija
                -The amount of memory used by the application level Java
classes.
                -etc ..
Notes that by using glib-2 functions like g_mem_profile () we can partially provide these informations.

The main idea is that we should implement a type of memory arena as the one proposed by the guru David R Hanson in his paper "Fast memory allocation and deallocation based on objects life time".
This paper can be downloaded on my personal download area:

http://www.seketeli.org/dodji/downloads/fastalloc.pdf

You should firts read this paper. Once you have finished reading this paper, i think we should discuss the design of the memory system itself.

regards,

--
Dodji

To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master,
walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.