hyperbole-users

Issue with action-key in comint mode

From: Bill Benedetto
Subject: Issue with action-key in comint mode
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:41:59 +0000

Good day!

I'm a long-time emacs user as well as a long-time hyperbole user.
(Both great products, BTW!)

I've run in to an odd problem, which I just figured out today changed sometime
after hyperbole v8.0.0.

I'm a system admin and use comint to open shells in emacs. (I know.  I've been
doing this for a long time.)

Regardless, in the past I've been able to action-key on any path in my shell
window and hyperbole does the right thing.

Recently-ish I've noticed that the action-key quit working on paths in my shell
windows.  So I just switched to ffap, which I'm not wild about since it's an
interrupt to my thinking (I just want the action-key to do it's thing! :-D).

Today I was thinking that I remember that the action-key always used to do the
right thing in shell windows.

So I started going back to earlier hyperbole versions.

I went from v9.0.1 back to v8.0.2pre (which I had laying around).
The problem still persisted.

Then I switched back to v8.0.0 (again, which I had laying around). And the
action-key once again works in shell windows like I expect/hope it to work!

All of this is just to ask how do I go about debugging this?

When it fails in the newer versions, the error I get is:
  (Hyperbole Action Key): No action defined for this context; try another
location

And in the *Messages* buffer I see:
  let: (Hyperbole Action Key): No action defined for this context; try another
location

One thing that I discovered is that if the path is on a line by itself (no
other text before or after it, that is), then the action-key will work.  But
in my case I'm looking at all different sorts of output and the path is almost
never on a line with no other text.

Can someone give me some ideas about where to look or how to start debugging?

Thanks!

- Bill
Bill Benedetto     <bbenedetto@goodyear.com>    The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
I don't speak for Goodyear and they don't speak for me.  We're both happy.