hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Need more usage examples (Was: Subscription within

From: Jean Louis
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 04:31:03 +0300

* Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org> [2020-10-29 07:26]:
> Jean, see my latest posting to the list.
>
> Personally, I don't relate to the idea of workflows very much.

If I want it or not, specific actions become necessity and then after
a while one can see the workflow being formed and then extract it and
repeat it.

Example is group handling of communication with many people. Processes
are known as CRM in computing, yet CRM as Customer Relationship
Management is not really software rather set of methods on how to do
it. Imagine that customer A have been handled by organization in last
10 years multiple times by multiple staff members. Customer may prefer
specific sales manager to contact him. But new staff member comes and
without looking into previous history with customer tries to push the
sale on the customer, but it does not work. Would that new staff
member look into history of any communication and notes related to
customer that would not happen. He would maybe contact the preferred
sales manager to contact the customer and get the sale closed. Or
sales manager could introduce new staff member to customer.

That example forms a workflow to always find previous or background
information of a customer, verify all notes, and then to contact him.

> sometimes you repeatedly do sequences of steps, as in Git commits.  But
> much of the time knowledge work requires inventing new ways of working or
> extending old ones, so I focus on core capabilities that people can use in
> creative ways as they see fit, in the same way all of Emacs' core
> capabilities provide this same freedom.

I agree. And I do not find it contradictory to workflows. Automated
workflows work with computers only. With people one has to adapt to
the situation. Above example also says that automatic calling of
people is not desired. What if customer already purchased a product
last week and new staff member is calling that customer to sell him
that same product customer purchased? That could break relation with
customer. If stuff member knows and should know that product have been
purchased, then call could be about after sale product support.

> You used the example of handling calls.  For one call, you might look up a
> contact, follow a URL reference, add a note with an implicit button, alter
> the information on your screen and send an email.  Hyperbole's toolkit
> nature can help you in all of these respects but there is no definable
> workflow in such a context, you have to create it from mastering a set of
> primitives.  Hyperbole simplifies this process by keeping the number of
> concepts relatively small and making the computer do the hard work.

Yes, I do not expect workflow from Hyperbole. What I would need would
be buttons or way to bind buttons to buffer on the fly. You could give
me pointers.

I would not like making a special temporary director where I would be
creating on the fly .hypb to enable buttons in such buffer. That could
be last resort.

When I enter ~/tmp directory there I have .hypb and inside is written
that it belongs to buffer "README" and I have buttons in README and I
can perform management functions. Even staff member could then perform
computer management functions without knowing anything about computing
commands.

Somewhere after entering the directory or upon opening of a file you
must have setup some hook, maybe hproperty:but-create or other
hook. Help me. Then this hook is looking into .hypb and assigning
buttons.

Is .hypb then converted into some Lisp structure of buttons that
buffer is using?

If that is so, then I just need to find the name of list structure and
I can already create buttons on the fly. Am I right?

Additional suggestion: if the file is read-only and there are buttons,
you could make TAB to behave in such manner to switch from button to
button similarly like within eww.

--
Jean Louis