hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Pointers to create modification on link-to-mail

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] Pointers to create modification on link-to-mail
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 03:48:11 +0200

* Robert Weiner <address@hidden> [2019-08-06 03:20]:
> If you could explain how those Org mode choices work, that would
> help us think about your use case as well.  I don’t fully follow
> what they do or how they work.

Example is this:

[[gpatent:481550][Ore washer and concentrator, by Arthur L. Dana]]

But only Ore washer and concentrator, by Arthur L. Dana remains
visible in the text. Actually Org links are synonyms for Hyperbole
buttons.

Also visibility of display text is good feature, while link itself
could be hidden. For example "gpatent:481550" need not be seen. In
that case it is opening link.

> >> Hide Org Link Abbrev Alist:
> >> INS DEL Cons-cell:
> >>           Protocol: gpatent
> >>           Choice: Value Menu Format: https://www.google.com/patents/US%s

Hyperbole is not far from using similar links with quick customization
option.

Then every user can decide quickly in customization menu, which links
can look like and by which function they can be opened.

I could then define that link:

Mr. John Doe <(Database ID: 1234)> means that "Database ID" is attribute of the
link, which could run the emacs function open-database-id with
argument 1234.

I would recommend following syntaxes:

<(attribute argument argument...)>

and

<(attribute attribute attribute: argument argument argument)> where by
":" is separator, and separator should be customizable.

Then emacs lisp function defined in customization group can be run on
the arguments.

That attribute could be written in text, gives nicer appearance
without hiding how the link works, as:

<(Database ID: 1234)> looks beter than <(DBID:1234)>

Or <(emails for: address@hidden)> also looks better, readable, and
parsable.

Jean