help-zile

[zile-devel] New release and update to schedule

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] New release and update to schedule
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 02:31:17 +0100 (CET)

As you can see, I've made a second alpha release. There was a regression bug since just before the first alpha release, which I've fixed.

I've also made a lot of progress on the EPOC port and integrated it into the main tree. I still have a little code in the EPOC tree that is not integrated, to do with auto-detecting and preserving line endings (because EPOC uses Windows-like CRLF). This code is probably useful in general, so I intend to integrate it. It's invisible to the user: it tries to guess the encoding for the current file, and copes with CR, LF, CRLF and LFCR. It copes with more than one type of line ending appearing in a file, but it won't look pretty in that case (it uses the first line ending for the "type" of the file). The important point is that if you load and then save an arbitrary file, it won't change the contents.

This feature will probably therefore make it into 2.0 proper (I'll have to document it!).

I'm going to slip my previously announced release schedule, which called for a beta release at the beginning of December. Instead of that, I'm going to aim for beta at the start of January, and then full release at the start of February. That should give time for any further bugs to show up (the one I fixed in this release took quite a while to show up, even though it was triggered by cursor movement).

Please use this release, or even better CVS head, if you can, and report problems.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
Fate is unmoved by hope; rather, what we hope for changes (Murasaki)