Re: Displaying images for html output

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Displaying images for html output
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:47:09 +0000

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:15:40PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > > Thanks for sending the input and the output.  This problem only occurs
> > > when the image file is not found.  I've tried to fix it in commit
> > > e2d579377.
> >
> > Does it really! I have to check that out, give me a moment.
>
> No.  The file exists and I use the correct path relative to
> index.html. So the path is correct as far as html is concerned.

As you said in another email the file name should be relative to
the Texinfo file for consistency with other output formats.

I doubt that relative names beginning "../" were much considered
when @image was implemented (or even file names with directory parts
at all).

I haven't thought of a clear answer for this issue yet.  I think that
for split output, the image files need to be copied into the output
directory and the file names should be given under that, not beginning
"../".  Alternatively, you could create a symbolic link to a directory
containing the image files under the output directory.

It's odd that the include path should be searched for image files.
This makes sense for TeX but not for other formats, as there is no
search path for image files for HTML or Info.  It would only make sense
if texi2any was going to copy the image files to the output location.