Re: Page Numbers in @ref

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Page Numbers in @ref
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:30:52 +0000

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:16:56PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
> Gavin Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 07:35:28PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > > So currently, having page numbers with full page description remained.
> > > I fail to understand because the new possibilities are not difficult to
> > > do, yet refuse the change for those who require them.  In writing
> > > mathematical tables, the problem of limited space is real.  Have no
> > > doubt that the abbreviated possibility would not freak people out to
> > > something awful.
> >
> > Only options that many people are likely to use should be provided.
> > It's not clear that anybody but yourself would use an option for the
> > notation that you suggest.  I don't want to include lots of options
> > for highly-specific use cases: this is a burden for the future.
> > You are free to implement the formatting that you want yourself in
> > texinfo.tex (or ask somebody else to do it for you) and use your
> > patched version instead, but the official version has to take into
> > account all users and whether options are generally useful.
>
> Christopher Dimech asked for a
> > construct that gives you the page number associated with a given
> > @ref, @xref, @pref or @anchor,
> which would be generally useful, and would allow him to make his abbreviated
> convention using a macro.  In fact, that is probably better than providing
> options on @ref at all:  documents needing an abbreviated form can define
> their own, while the use case of a non-hardcopy PDF with hyperlinks would be
> better met with a global option; switching between PDF-for-online-use and
> PDF-for-hardcopy should not require more effort than changing paper size.

In commit 977ee4c43 I introduced the flag

@set txiomitxrefpg

so you can run e.g. texi2pdf -t '@set txiomitxrefpg' foo.texi

Idea for the patch was from November 2016

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2016-11/msg00048.html

Page number can be obtained by hooking into texinfo.tex internals
and using \refx{NODE-pg}.