Re: [PDF] Quotes glyphs; chapters/sections numbers in bookmarks

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [PDF] Quotes glyphs; chapters/sections numbers in bookmarks
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 12:16:14 +0100

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 10:57:22PM +0200, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> > There is not much horizontal space in a table of contents sidebar
> > and adding a section number makes even less of the section name
> > visible. Adding an option for it would need more code and have to be
> > maintained forever.
>
> Not much space?  I think these sidebars (at least in Adobe Reader and
> SumatraPDF) are easily resizeable, just grab & pull making it wider.
> Unless you're writing about something else.

But that takes away space from the main pane for reading the document.

> As for option, I was rather thinking about making it the default
> method, without option to change it.  Sort of "upgrade", which I think
> it is.

I'm not convinced it's an improvement.

One other thing is that chapter numbers in the sidebar really makes it
clear what is a chapter and what is an appendix or other unnumbered
top-level section.  Do you have any thoughts on just having numbers for
the chapters but not for any subordinate sections?  The problem is worse
for subordinate section numbers like "18.3.4" which take up more space.

There were section numbers in the outline in some other PDF's I looked
at, although some actually had the word "Chapter" in the outline which
definitely should be avoided.

> But then I'm more concerned about headings "problem" than numbering
> bookmarks, so it's your call.
>
> After you send reply to this message with decision, finalizing this
> thread, could we go back to previous thread, the one about headings?

The decision doesn't have to be final if other arguments come to light.