Re: [help-texinfo] Problems with inconsistent indentation in a @table in

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Problems with inconsistent indentation in a @table in an @itemize.
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 22:14:00 +0000

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 06:52:16PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Texinfo.
>
> In a part of the (Emacs) CC Mode manual, I'm now seeing this
> indentation in text built by makeinfo in Texinfo 6.6:
>
>      Style
>  File Style(2)
>  Top-level command or "customization interface"
>  Hook
>  File Local Variable setting
>
> , where originally the following correct indentation was generated:
>
>     Style
>     File Style(2)
>     Top-level command or "customization interface"
>     Hook
>     File Local Variable setting
>
> .  The source which produces these snippets is:
>
> @itemize @w{}
> @item
> @table @asis
> @item Style
> @itemx File address@hidden earlier versions of @ccmode{}, a File
> Style setting took precedence over any other setting apart from a File
> Local Variable setting.}
> @itemx Top-level command or ``customization interface''
> @itemx Hook
> @itemx File Local Variable setting
> @end table
> @end itemize

Have you tried any versions in between Texinfo 6.6 and Texinfo 4.13?  I
tried Texinfo 5.2 and got the same results (once I had deleted the
undefined @ccmode{} macro in that input).

The input that you have posted is quite strange and not what the @table
and @itemize commands are intended for.  They are not for controlling
the exact layout of text.

More generally, it might be meaningful sometimes for a @table to occur
within an @itemize and in that case it should be indented properly.  But
it doesn't look like this is supported.  It doesn't look right with TeX
either, where there is empty space above the table.