[help-texinfo] Visible HTML anchors for options?

From: David Malcolm
Subject: [help-texinfo] Visible HTML anchors for options?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 17:26:59 -0500

I'm a GCC developer; we use texinfo for our documentation.

GCC has a lot of options, so it's very useful to be able to provide
users with URLs to *specific* options in our documentation.

For a long time I didn't think texinfo's HTML generator provided
anchors for these, but using "View Source" shows it does.

For example, this .texi input:

@item address@hidden
@opindex flive-patching
Control GCC's optimizations to provide a safe compilation for live-
patching.

provides this HTML:

live-patching.

which can thus be accessed via this anchored URL:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#index-flive-patching

Unfortunately, the anchor is invisible in the web page as there's no
text within it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to make the anchors visible?  For
example, could the whole of the <dt> text become the anchor?
This would make it much easier to get the URL for just that option
(without having to use View Source and hunt for it).  Or am I missing
something here?

Thoughts?
Dave