Re: [help-texinfo] 'makeinfo --html --split=chapter' splits at Texinfo n

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] 'makeinfo --html --split=chapter' splits at Texinfo node boundaries, not chapters
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:23:54 +0100

On 26 July 2016 at 17:57, Robert Weiner <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Patrice Dumas <address@hidden> wrote:

> My question is can the redirection links provided for external manuals
> always be in the index.html file (utilizing the node names in the links)
> rather than in per node files?

No, that's not how web browsers work. A link from another Texinfo
manual is to a page generated for a node. When you click on that link
that page will have to exist on the server. index.html on the server
isn't involved here.

> The external manuals then link to constant
> node names but these always point into the index.html file which redirects
> them to the specific chapter node entries.

I doubt that a web page that can redirect to multiple other web pages
is possible. (Note that we're talking about automatic redirection by a
web browser here, not redirection by clicking a link.) Even if it
were, it seems that you are proposing to change how links between
Texinfo manuals are generated for the HTML output.