Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page in the middle of the index)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:21:58 -0400

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> the result [of using braces around key sequences in Info manuals) will confuse the reader

This is
​ ​
an
​ ​
assumption you are making that has not been borne out by the experience of users of these manuals throughout the years.
​  ​
Prior to this discussion here, we have never heard from a single user about any problems with this notation
​.​

As you have said before regarding Emacs features, since it has been working a certain way for years (with my packages), until a better, more consistent techinque is proposed, I will stay with this and let the users say whether it is an issue or not.  And again, maybe you will look at it and try it out before dismissing it.

There are a number of advantages of the brace markup over the standard Texinfo markup of key sequences:

1. The display is consistent across .pdf, .html and .info outputs.  The same markup can be used within any standard text as well (similar to what markdown does and we know how popular that is).

2. Hyperbole recognizes global key sequences surrounded by braces and can activate their key bindings when selected with the mouse (or via a keyboard key).  This is great for demos or for frequently accessed long sequences that may be hard to remember.

3. The forthcoming OO-Browser package (modernized for Emacs 25) has also used this markup in its textual help display that serves as a quick reference to its available keys.  Again, these can be activated by a mouse click and the right things happen. Because many of these key sequences are fitted on screen at once, they need clear delimiters and the braces work well for this.

Bob

Here is a snippet:

--------
OO-Browser Keyboard Help                  {H} displays mouse help

--- Basic Commands ---

{C-c C-l} load/create an Envir  {C-c C-r} reinitialize browser display
                                {C-c C-s} save the current Environment

{m} / {M} match classes/entries {H}       mouse help       {h}     this help
{i}       class info            {w}       where entry def  {M-c}   class stat
{q}       exit OO-Browser       {C-u q}   quit OO-Browser  {M-e}   Env   stat
{x}       exit level            {b}       list buffers, select one to display

--- Viewing ----

{v}       view entry            {C-u v}   prompt for entry to view
{V}       view C++ friend def
{e}       edit entry            {C-u e}   prompt for class or feature to edit
{j}       jump to declaration   {C-u j}   prompt for declaration to jump to
{J}       edit declaration      {C-u J}   prompt for declaration to edit