Re: [help-texinfo] Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page in the middle of the index
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:01:17 +0100

On 28 June 2016 at 00:09, Robert Weiner <address@hidden> wrote:
> I like to use curly braces around key sequences as I think they set them off
> and make them easier to read than other delimiters like the single quotes
> used in the Info versions of manuals.  For example, {C-x o} is easy to read
> whether in info, html or pdf form.  Is there an option I can use to get this
> output without having to forcibly add @{ @} pairs everywhere (which still
> leaves the single quotes in various output modes).

You can turn off the single quotes for code altogether with "texi2any
-c OPEN_QUOTE_SYMBOL= -c CLOSE_QUOTE_SYMBOL= FILE.texi"
where FILE.texi is your input file. (Previous discussion at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2015-11/msg00001.html.)

You could use a macro like (untested)

@macro Keyseq {arg}
@address@hidden@}}
@end macro

and then type @Keyseq{C-x o} where you want {C-x o}.

You also have the option of conditional definitions of macros, like

@ifinfo
@definfoenclose Keyseq,@{,@}
@end ifinfo
@ifnotinfo
@macro Keyseq {arg}
@address@hidden@}}
@end macro
@end ifnotinfo

That's also untested.

I'd say I haven't read the Hyperbole manual in depth and don't really
know what the braced key sequences mean: if they are just key
sequences to be typed, I'd suggest using @kbd instead with the regular
single quotes, because that would be more consistent with other
Texinfo manuals and more understandable to readers, unless you really
want to use brace characters instead. It's possible that the brace
characters mean something special in the context of Hyperbole which I
don't know about.