Re: [help-texinfo] trying to make a unicode math char appear in all form

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] trying to make a unicode math char appear in all formats
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:30:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Karl Berry wrote:

Hi Paul,

1) With the latest texinfo.tex (from ftp.gnu.org et al.), using the literal 227A character should work with TeX. Processing with pdftex is not a problem; UTF-8 input is parsed and characters mapped to the standard TeX commands/fonts. (Unicode outside of Computer Modern does not work, but that's not the problem here.)

2) As of the latest Texinfo release (6.0), there's also @U{227A} which
should behave identically, if you don't want binary in the source,
although I guess that's not an issue in your case.

That will be useful as/when it's widely available. Thanks.

3) It should not be a problem to make @math be a no-op inside @math.
That's surely desirable anyway.  Gavin or I can hack that into
texinfo.tex when we have a chance.

That'd be really useful too. Being able to define the macro to use @math{...} inside for the \prec, while still being able to do @math{a @precb b} would be nice!

4) pinfo is still maintained by someone?  I thought it was abandoned a
decade or so ago.  (Just curious.)

I don't know, but Fedora ship it and it works fine. I've always gotten on better with pinfo's lynx-like navigation over the stock 'info' viewer (not knocking 'info' ;) - just UI-network-effects I guess).

Thank you very much Karl and Gavin for your help on this. Much appreciated!

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  @pjakma Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: