[help-texinfo] trying to make a unicode math char appear in all formats

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: [help-texinfo] trying to make a unicode math char appear in all formats
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:25:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I want to use the unicode 'precedes' math symbol, ≺, 0x227A, in a TeXinfo document. If I type @math{\prec} it will appear in PDF, but I get \prec in most other output formats. If I type @math{≺} then I get it in at least the text format, but not in the PDF - presumably because texinfo is using the non-UTF8 capable pdftex (??).

So I tried to create a macro to conditionally use the appropriate method. However, I couldn't get that work either.

@macro prec{}
@iftex
@math{\prec}
@end iftex
@ifnottex
≺
@end ifnottex
@end macro

unicode: ≺

prec: @prec{}
math unicode: @math{≺}
math tex: @math{\prec}

Produces the following in PDF:

unicode:
prec:
math unicode: math tex:

In HTML:

unicode: ≺

prec: ≺ math unicode: ≺ math tex: \prec

In text (e.g. the info format as viewed with pinfo):

   unicode: ≺

   prec: ≺ math unicode: ≺ math tex: \prec

Does anyone know how I can get the right character generated across these formats?

I also tried to define a macro as follows:

@macro precb{}
@inlinefmtifelse{tex,@tex \ensuremath{\prec} @end tex, ≺}
@end macro

but that fails to compile (and trying to escape the \ in various ways didn't fix it).

Any help on this would be greatyl appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  @pjakma Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: