Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo: defining variables with -D

From: David Oostdyk
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo: defining variables with -D
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:19:24 -0400

Hi Karl,

I made an example project, but it occurs to me that I'm not sure what
the rules regarding file attachment to the mailing list are, so I will
email it separately if you are willing to give it a try.

In short I have a Makefile.am with the following snippets:

--
# an example program (to avoid having to mention test1.c in EXTRA_DIST)
noinst_PROGRAMS = example/test1

# I would like to define certain paths for Makeinfo, because
example.texi includes test1.c.
TEXI2DVI = texi2dvi --clean --batch \
        --command="@set abs_top_srcdir $(abs_top_srcdir)" \
        --command="@set abs_top_builddir $(abs_top_builddir)"
TEXI2PDF = $(TEXI2DVI) --pdf --batch \
        --command="@set abs_top_srcdir $(abs_top_srcdir)" \
        --command="@set abs_top_builddir $(abs_top_builddir)"
AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS = \
        -D "abs_top_srcdir $(abs_top_srcdir)" \
        -D "abs_top_builddir $(abs_top_builddir)"

# finally include the texinfo file itself:
info_TEXINFOS = docs/example.texi

--
Meanwhile in docs/example.texi, I attempt a @verbatiminclude of test1.c:

The following line worked under previous versions of Makeinfo:
@c @verbatiminclude @value{abs_top_srcdir}/example/test1.c

The following line works under newer versions of Makefino, but only
when 'make' is
run from the source directory.
@c @verbatiminclude example/test1.c

--
I'll send you an example project that ties everything together, and if
I can find a place to host it I will share it with the list.

Thanks for your help!
Dave Oostdyk