Re: [help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] how does one encode a middle dot? and other questions
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 18:32:51 +0300

> From: Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:18:34 +0200
>
> First, is there a way to encode U+00B7 (middle dot) in a texi
> file, in a way similar to @guillemetright{} and @bullet{}?

Not clear what you are asking.  A simple answer is just use that
character in the Texinfo source, but I'm not sure this is what you
want, so please tell more.

> Second, in the manual it says that @documentencoding sets the
> input encoding.  But I find that an @guillemetright{} only gets
> rendered as "ยป" (instead of ">>") when I set @documentencoding
> to UTF-8.  So it's more like that command sets the output encoding,
> no?

It sets the input encoding, and also enables certain features in the
output.

> But what will happen on a machine that does not use a UTF-8
> locale?  Will the resulting info file still be readable when the
> above command is used?  How will the guillemet get rendered there?

The next release will have a feature in the stand-alone Info reader to
replace the characters that cannot be displayed by suitable ASCII art.

The Emacs GUI Info reader can display these character regardless of
the locale.