Re: [help-texinfo] attribute ‘number’

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] attribute ‘number’
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 22:43:13 +0000

On 1 March 2015 at 22:23, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     I'd suggest not adding data to the output formats unless there is a
>     real use for it.
>
> The purpose of the XML format is to provide a maximal representation of
> the Texinfo input.  There is no "use" for XML beyond that.

There is a question of the amount of redundancy in the output, without
changing the amount of information it contains. Users of the XML files
could count the index entries themselves, so having a "number"
attribute is there as a convenience only. Likewise, the 'number' data
in the parse tree is set there for the convenience of the converters.