[help-texinfo] documentlanguage problem

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-texinfo] documentlanguage problem
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 15:55:31 +0200

Hello Karl et al,

I'm writing a Texinfo manual in German and I get the following error with
`texi2dvi' when I try to use address@hidden de_DE':

Runaway argument?
DE.tex \fi \closein 1 \endgroup \endgroup
./rus2014.texi:15: Paragraph ended before \documentlanguagetrywithoutunderscore
 was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par
l.15

? h
I suspect you've forgotten a `}', causing me to apply this
control sequence to too much text. How can we recover?
My plan is to forget the whole thing and hope for the best.

?

It works with makeinfo.

I installed the latest release:

texi2dvi --version
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 5.2) 5381

The one supplied by OpenSuse was from 2008!

Plain address@hidden de' works fine.  There is no `txi-de_DE' in
`$TEXMF/tex/texinfo'.

This is what the manual says:

17.1 The '@documentlanguage' command declares the current document locale.
Write it on a line by itself, near the beginning of the file, but after
'@setfilename' (*note @setfilename::):

     @documentlanguage LL[_CC]

  Include a two-letter ISO 639-2 language code (LL) following the
command name, optionally followed by an underscore and two-letter
ISO 3166 two-letter country code (CC).  If you have a multilingual
document, the intent is to be able to use this command multiple times,
to declare each language change.  If the command is not used at all, the
default is 'en_US' for US English.

I tried various things but none of them worked.  Does anybody know how to get
it to work?

Thanks,

Laurence