Re: [help-texinfo] Russian language in pdf

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Russian language in pdf
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 23:57:16 GMT

Sorry, but there is nothing in texinfo.tex to load Cyrillic fonts, or
really anything but ISO Latin 1 and a little of 2 and a tiny number of
other characters.

It's a serious deficiency.  Maybe the only short term solution is to
generate the PDF from the HTML output somehow?  (I don't know how, but I
suppose it's possible).  Also, searching for "cyrillic texinfo.tex"
turns up some possible patches from Werner Lemberg and others.  I
haven't investigated in depth.

There used to be a separate texi2latex program (texi2latex.nongnu.org)
but it hasn't been updated for some years so likely doesn't work on your
source.  You could try.

Long term, I hope we will have a LaTeX back end in makeinfo.  It's not
practical to try to support everything in texinfo.tex.  (An incomplete
attempt is in texinfo/contrib/texifont if any serious TeX hackers get
interested, though.)

(Also sorry for the delayed reply.)

karl