Re: [help-texinfo] NODE_NAME_IN_MENU: am I understanding this variable p

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] NODE_NAME_IN_MENU: am I understanding this variable properly?
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:51:18 +0100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:09:34AM -0500, Jason Massey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My ultimate goal is for Texinfo split-HTML output to emit section names
> within menus rather than node names (and menu descriptions).
>
> I have attempted this by setting the NODE_NAME_IN_MENU variable to zero
> ('0'). My first attempt I assigned the variable on the command line (
> --set-customization-variable NODE_NAME_IN_MENU=0). Since that had
> no noticeable effect on HTML output, I modified NODE_NAME_IN_MENU's default
> value to '0' in HTML.pm. That had no effect either.

In fact, section name is used if
1) NODE_NAME_IN_MENU=0
2) and sections (and not nodes) are used to determine the split of the
texinfo document into elements.  This is set with
  --set-customization-variable USE_NODES=0

I am, however, not very convinced myself that it is a good thing to
have this second condition.

--
Pat