[help-texinfo] Where to place localized info files?

From: Mario Blättermann
Subject: [help-texinfo] Where to place localized info files?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:58:16 +0100

Hi all,

I'm the German translator of Recutils for years, and I like to translate the
documentation, too. Recutils ships both man pages and a Texinfo manual. I
asked in the mailing list there, and I was recommended to translate the latter
because it is more complete and better maintained.

For the man pages, I can create localized versions and put them into
/usr/share/man/locale_code/man*/*. But I had a look at /usr/share/info on my
system, and I can't find a subfolder or anything else which seems to be the
right place for localized *.info.gz files.

For better understanding, it is not the problem to handle the *.texi files. I'm
using po4a-gettextize and po4a-translate to get the localized *.texi source
which will be compiled with makeinfo. But I have to make sure that the *.info
file gets in the right place on my system, so that the "info" command finds it
and prefer the localized version instead of the original English one,
depending on the locale settings of the appropriate user.

Best Regards,
Mario