Re: [help-texinfo] texi2dvi breaks on http://nco.sf.net/nco.texi

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] texi2dvi breaks on http://nco.sf.net/nco.texi
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:14:31 GMT

Hi Charlie,

    '->^
        \bgroup address@hidden
    \thistitle ...nym {NCO} \value {nco-edition} User'
                                                      s Guide

Not an internal limit.  That's about TeX parsing (i.e., catcodes) of the
' char in the @settitle (or maybe the @titlepage).  As if the title is
being printed in math mode.

My first suggestion is to try the current texinfo.tex
(http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/texinfo/texinfo.tex).  (This is nothing about
texi2dvi per se, but about texinfo.tex.)  When I tried it, it seemed to
get past that point, though of course I'm missing all the subfiles and
other dependencies.

Unfortunately, I have an idea that it might be happening when a page
break occurs in the middle of a @tex environment, as you speculate, or
maybe an @math expression.  In that case, probably the only way to find
it is by chopping out chapters.  But I may be able to fix it even
without the failing example.  I'll take a look tomorrow if still needed.

Best,
Karl

P.S. I suggest moving @contents to the beginning, where toc's belong.
P.P.S. The canonical spelling of Texinfo is "Texinfo" :).