Re: [help-texinfo] Can nodes have the same name if they are under differ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Can nodes have the same name if they are under different parents?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 07:29:41 +0300

> From: Leo <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:01:50 +0800
>

> I am new to write texinfo. I am getting an error like this:
>
> joke.texi:9470: Node `New Utilities' previously defined at line 8867.
> /Users/Shared/sources/lisp/joke//joke.texi:9666: Prev field of node `Example
> Bezier Curves' not pointed to.
> /Users/Shared/sources/lisp/joke//joke.texi:8867: This node (New Utilities)
> has the bad Next.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `joke-texi.html' due to errors; use --force to
> preserve.
> make: *** [joke-texi.html] Error 1

Yes, node names need to be unique in the entire document.  Otherwise
cross-references and menu entries (including index entries) will not
work, because they only state the node name.

>From the Texinfo manual, node "Node Line Requirements":

   * All the node names for a single Info file must be unique.

     Duplicates confuse the Info movement commands.  This means, for
     example, that if you end every chapter with a summary, you must
     name each summary node differently.  You cannot just call each one
     "Summary".  You may, however, duplicate the titles of chapters,
     sections, and the like.  Thus you can end each chapter in a book
     with a section called "Summary", so long as the node names for
     those sections are all different.