Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:20:51 +0200

> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:50:03 -0800
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Hi Tim (and Juri),
>
>     | * Secure?  Conform?::           Is Bison POSIX safe?
>     | File: bison.info,  Node: Secure? Conform?,  Next: I can't build Bison,
> Prev: Multiple start-symbols,  Up: FAQ
>
> 1) It seems wrong to me that makeinfo inserted (or deleted, whichever)
> the extra space from the @node name here, assuming that is what
> happened.

That is what happened, but I don't quite understand why you think it's
wrong.  makeinfo squeezes whitespace as part of its reading the
sources, it always did.

> I am pretty sure that the development code does not do this.
> (Patrice, please double check.)

I'm not sure the development code shouldn't follow the C
implementation in this.  There be dragons.

> 2) Regardless, however, I think it is good for the info readers to not
> worry about whitespace.  As this bug shows.  In general, having two node
> names that differ only in whitespace is not likely to work in many
> regards (certainly not in TeX), so it's not like we lose anything by
> treating multiple spaces as equivalent to one.  As far as I can see.

Right.  Having two such nodes means Info will be unable to distinguish
between them.