Re: [help-texinfo] Commands in indices

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Commands in indices
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:24:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:50:47 +0200
>>
>> I want to index (in Lilypond) command names like \relative.  They
>> should appear in the index only once, as @code{\relative}
> [...]
>> and when I use 'i' in the Emacs info reader, they should be found as
>> "\relative".
>
> So far, something like
>
>  @findex \relative
>
> possibly followed by
>
>  @syncodeindex fn cp
>
> should do it.
>
>> should be in the sort order in the index in printed form and HTML
>> considered as "relative"
>
> This part I don't understand.  Do you mean that the sorted index
> should have "\relative" among index entries that start with `r',
> instead of those that start with `\'?  If so, I don't think you can do
> this, except by a trick, something like
>
>  @cindex relative mode, the @code{\relative} command

That's not the output I want.  If 50% of the index entries consist of
\controlsequence, it is totally unhelpful to have all of them appear
humongously under `\'.  Lilypond currently has for most entries in the
manual
@funindex relative
@funindex \relative
which causes a duplication in the index that is annoying and not
helpful.  Also annoying when using the `i' command.

>> Documentation about sorting stuff in Texinfo is basically non-existent.
>
> Each index is sorted using 1 of 2 possible comparison functions:
> either mbscasecmp (the default) or strcoll (if the configure test for
> that function succeeds).  Does this answer your question?

No.  It would be beneficial if one had a possibility to specify a
collation key.  It won't do for the Lilypond project to rely on specific
locales that ignore \ when sorting.

I would not mind writing having to write several indexes (one mapped to
interactive indexing), but the discrepancy between text and collation,
and collation and interactive index commands needs to get resolved in
some manner.

@funindex @sometimesbs{}relative

or something like that would be acceptable if it could be made to work.

--
David Kastrup