[help-texinfo] conditional line-breaks for @example text?

From: Rick Jones
Subject: [help-texinfo] conditional line-breaks for @example text?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:26:38 -0700

I'm updating the netperf manual:

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/netperf.texi (et al)

and have a slight, though frustrating issue with text in an @example - netperf's output can often have rather long lines. When generating .html from netperf.texi this isn't a big deal, but for .pdf and .ps output it results in either truncation, or failure.

I'm not sure I'd like to have a tiny font be used to avoid the issue, is there any way to "conditionally" break the long lines when the output is going to be something where they would be truncated?

thanks,

rick jones

what is installed on my system includes but is not limited to:

ii texinfo 4.13a.dfsg.1-5ubuntu1 Documentation system for on-line information and printed output ii texlive 2009-10 TeX Live: A decent selection of the TeX Live packages