[help-texinfo] Re: Gentoo Linux some `Info' manuals missing index

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: Gentoo Linux some `Info' manuals missing index
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:22:29 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> They did no such thing.  I have CVS Info manual in the old format, and
> the index there works for me inside Emacs.
>
>> If they didn't make that decision, it simply seems like a bug introduced
>> since 23.1 was released, based on the evidence at hand.
>
> Nope, the above works for me in stock Emacs 23.1.

Eli, if you can, what is the date on your copy of cvs info files.  And
how many are there?

For me, with cvs  1.12.12 (client/server), The info files are already
created in the sources pkg.  They date from 2005 and there are 11 of
them.

Those files fail on an `i' (index) search with the message `no index'.

(This is with yesterdays (11/01/09) cvs of emacs-23)

However the index itself is there in the first page menu and can be
opened and read.

Just the info search fails.

If I generate the info files manually using the source CVS texi and
texinfo-4.13 I get 3 files and info search works fine.

Further, I haven't run across any other info manuals where index
search fails.  (I've tried just a random selection; bash, date, tar
and texinfo)

So it seems not to be a general problem and would also seem to
indicate its not a local problem.