Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo: option for disable fill_column?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo: option for disable fill_column?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:08:16 -0500

    It seems the filling is forced at present?

It is true that filling is forced.

    Since it's unable to format Chinese(and maybe other languages)

It is true that CJK etc. languages that don't use spaces won't get useful
line breaking.  The Unicode line breaking characters are not
recognized.  makeinfo doesn't actually have any understanding of Unicode
at all, it just passes through its input.

    how about adding an option
    disabling filling at all?

For starters, how about
@format
... chinese ...
@end format
?

I believe any line breaks in the input will be preserved.

Admittedly if you're writing a whole document in Chinese it's going to a
drag to put @format ... @end format around each node, but if that's the
only problem with writing Chinese in Texinfo, we're in much better shape
than I anticipated :).