Re: [help-texinfo] convert texi into tex

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] convert texi into tex
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:54:41 -0600

    Err, isn't a texinfo file already a TeX file? (He says to TeXnician Karl

:)

Sure, but it wouldn't work to do:

  ... (la)tex stuff ...

  \input texinfo.tex
  ... texinfo stuff ...

  ... more (la)tex stuff ...

The definitions in texinfo.tex will certainly screw up anything
following -- the parsing is completely different, starting with a
different escape character (@ instead of \).  You can't just put the
texinfo stuff in a group because there are tons of global definitions
(and need to be).

latex and texinfo will certainly collide too, so that's out.

I've never actually tried making a document with just plain tex stuff
before, and then read texinfo.tex in the middle.  I imagine the page
numbers, at least, would be messed up, but it might ultimately be
workable.  I rather suspect the OP was thinking latex though.

Cheers,
karl