Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Formatting parser symbols and rules
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:46:13 -0600

Sorry, I can't reply to everything in detail now (and I'll be offline
after tomorrow until next Wednesday), but here are a few notes.

    1.  It would be nice to have a set of address@hidden' commands for parser

I would prefer not to add any more @def commands for specialized
application.  They're a big pain.

    tokens (address@hidden') and one for non-teminals (address@hidden') and add
the
    entries by hand, so the entries in the Variable Index are redundant.

Maybe redirect the vr index to pn, then, and omit the explicit pn entries.
I highly recommend redirecting all indexes into one in the end, anyway.

    This works fine, except that it doesn't work for the first item in the

Well, that's a bug, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble.  How
about simply using @var?  That's what it's intended for.  Maybe we
should invent a formatting option that says whether or not @var should
use angle brackets, or a second command (say, @metavar) that does have
angle brackets.  Or maybe just forget the angle brackets, even though I
know they are highly traditional in parser descriptions.

    it's not possible to use `@ ' in an index entry.

What happens?  I don't know of any explicit restriction.

    Some of the address@hidden' lines are also very long, and I think `makeinfo'
    at least will fail if they're broken.

@node commands definitely have to be on one line.  But do you really
have individual node names that are longer than 70 chars or so?  Yikes.

karl