[help-texinfo] Re: xml id characters

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: xml id characters
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:44:34 -0600

    I see little point in emitting DocBook-SGML.

Right.  makeinfo only emits docbook/xml (these days), as far as I know.
So the SGML rule doesn't matter.

    I.e. colons are not allowed for "xml:id" attributes and that is probably
    a good idea for DocBook "id" attributes too.

Ok.  I guess I will change the code accordingly.

    How well does texinfo handle Unicode characters?

As far as makeinfo goes, it just passes along whatever it sees in the
input to the output, and dumps the @documentencoding value into the
output as well.  It doesn't try to interpret characters in any way.
No doubt it'll be a problem at some point, but it seems to have more or
less sufficed so far.

Thanks much for the info.
Karl