Re: [help-texinfo] Some problems when converting texinfo to text

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Some problems when converting texinfo to text
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:53:02 -0600

    1 - Double spaces after the end of each end of sentence in the texinfo
    file are copied into the text file. I don't think that's normal.

It may not be normal, but it is intentional.  Standard GNU practice is
to use two spaces at the end of sentences.  This has been promulgated by
rms for decades to make the Emacs sentence commands more reliable.

Anyway, as I recall, what it's actually doing is simpler: it copies
spaces from the input file.  If you leave one space between sentences,
then that's what will be in the Info file.  The only exception are the
occasional sentence endings that it generates itself.  Those are
hardwired to two spaces.

    2 - Blank lines are also copied straight into the text file.

Another longstanding practice.  I think it would undesirable to avoid
blank lines between paragraphs; that's standard practice in text files.

As for copying *every* blank line into the Info output, I can agree that
that is not ideal, but it would be very hard to change, and won't happen
any time soon, if ever.

    That's different if the image is inserted in the middle of a sentence.

Well, there are different cases, since sometimes people want to put
images in the middle of a paragraph.  However, I can't quite recall why
there are brackets in one case and not the other.  It doesn't sound
right.

    Moreover, the ] is written on a new line.

That seems like a bug for sure.

I don't know when I'll be able to look at the image stuff.  Maybe you or
someone in your group can dive into the makeinfo code.  I doubt it is deep.

Best,
Karl