[help-texinfo] Info file format spec?

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [help-texinfo] Info file format spec?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:32:50 -0700

Hello,

Is the format of the files created by makeinfo documented somewhere?
I can puzzle it out, but it would be nice to know for sure.
I looked, but I was unable to find anything about that.

What I'm pretty sure I want is to know the filename, byte offset within
the file, and length of each item in the function/variable index of an info
file. I guess that can be deduced from the indirection table, tag table,
and function/variable index, but I've found it's not entirely straightforward,
and I'm worried there are details I've missed. Or maybe there is a way
to get makeinfo to print filename, byte offset, and length. I looked for
that too but didn't find anything.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this question.

All the best,
Robert Dodier