Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo and include problem

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] makeinfo and include problem
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:24:14 -0600

Hi Thomas,

    in our project(auto[make/conf] based) we introduced texinfo format for
    documentation (in favor of our old static HTML doc).

Happy to hear it :).

    How to solve best this problem ?

Well, it seems like you would probably have already considered this, but
it would seem the easiest way would be to have root use makeinfo 4.8,
one way or another -- change root's path or MAKEINFO setting for the
make, change the makefiles to get the newer version, or whatever.  Or
don't make the documentation as root in the first place.  Am I missing
something?  Of course there's no way to retroactively change the
behavior of 4.5 ...

    In which version of makeinfo was HTML support introduced ?

Version 4.0, released in September 1999. (As recorded in the NEWS file, BTW.)
I haven't seen reports from anyone using a version nearly that old
in a long time, for what it's worth.

Best,
Karl