Re: [help-texinfo] Numbering of chapters and sections

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Numbering of chapters and sections
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:03:07 +0100

Karl Berry píše v So 11. 03. 2006 v 17:30 -0600:
> I didn't try it, but I think that might get you Part A, Part B, ...
> And then nested @section's should be A.1, A.2, ...
> I realized that isn't what you asked for, but it is closer.

A.1, A.2 would be fine. Actually much better. The problem is this
would only work for TeX. I need to generate other outputs too (html and
docbook).

> Or you could perhaps use @unnumberedsec instead of @section and number
> the sections yourself.

This is the obvious solution, but I'd really like to avoid it.

> Many many years ago (I can't even find when), @section (and @subsection
> and @subsubsection) was changed to be equivalent to @unnumberedsec
> (@appendixsec) within @unnumbered (@appendix).  That had the obvious
> advantage of not having to change commands when a chapter type changed,
> as well as generally not having to remember so many commands.

I understand the reasons now.

However, I think, for the future, TeXInfo could provide a command
equivalent to chapter, section etc. where one could specify the method
of numbering (letters, numbers, roman numbers...). TeX is able to do
that, so it should not be a big problem.

Thank you,
Hynek