Re: [help-texinfo] cgdb.info and version.texi

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] cgdb.info and version.texi
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:53:10 -0600

    I've just recently started using texinfo, to write the manual for my
    project (cgdb.sf.net).

Cool, glad to hear it.

    Which of these files, if any, should I check into CVS to follow my
    current model? I'm assuming the doc/version.texi will have to be
    installed, to stop the user from having autoconf/automake?

Yes.  And I think you'll want stamp-vti, too, to prevent version.texi
from getting remade unnecessarily.  And if you don't check in cgdb.info
as well, the users will have to have Texinfo installed -- you may not
want that either.

That is, if by "users" you mean "developers checking out the CVS
repository".  If you mean "end users downloading and installing the
package", then you don't have to have any of them in CVS.  (They'll be
included in the tarball by default, I believe.)  I use
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE for Texinfo, and I have those files in my .cvsignore.

Happy documenting,
Karl