[help-texinfo] Re: New Texi parser?

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: New Texi parser?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:04:25 +0100

Hallöchen!

Jean-Louis Leroy <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>
> But this makes me think about a way of validating the parser. Does
> the XML output contain the complete information of a texi file?

No.  The conditional parts with @if... are not copied all to the XML
file, only some of them.  Comments are missing and two or three
other things that I cannot remember at the moment.  The XML output
is a modified HTML output, not a 1:1 representation of the original
file.

> The XML converter is probably easy to write, if the new converter
> outputs exactly the same XML as makeinfo for all the big GNU texi
> files (especially makeinfo's, that one must be tricky), then we
> have a reliable modern parser and that may motivate people to
> start writing converters.

Indeed.

>From today's point of view, the idea to process the Texinfo file
with TeX itself was not a very good one.  It's too tempting for
authors to use bizare features of TeX, so the file format cannot be
specified reliably any more.

However, the way via XML is too slow for some purposes, e.g. in
Makefiles.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus            ICQ 264-296-646