Re: [help-texinfo] French double quote

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] French double quote
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:10:04 -0600

Bonjour Jean-Charles,

    an angled quote

Sadly, I cannot think of a good way to produce guillemets in Texinfo.

You can do it in the Info/HTML output by using:

@documentlanguage fr
@documentencoding ISO-8859-1

and then the actual 8-bit characters in the text.  (See info-fr.texi in
the Texinfo distribution for a real-life example.)

However, texinfo.tex doesn't currently know how to handle such 8-bit
chars, so all the accented characters just disappear in the TeX output.
Different fonts have to be used, for starters.

If someone knowledgeable about TeX is interested in preparing a usable
patch for texinfo.tex about this, that would be most wonderful.  I've
received a number of patches in this area over the years, but they have
all (as I recall) changed current behavior so severely that I could not
install them.

It would be feasible to create special commands to produce the
guillemets (@lguil{} and @rguil{}, or whatever), but somehow I doubt
that will really be enough for you -- won't you need a whole of
special characters?  (Not to mention French hyphenation, which is
another whole project.)

Sorry.
karl