Re: [help-texinfo] texi2dvi: Preserve foo.log

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] texi2dvi: Preserve foo.log
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:50:52 -0400

    That's a very nice idea, but what about --clean, where you are
    expected to remove the temp file.  Should we leave the whole
    directory?  Move just the log file?

I'm a little confused.  Does --clean now use a subdir of the current dir
instead of in /tmp?  (Sorry, my brain isn't up to following the logic
right now. :)  In any case, I think --clean should definitely not leave
the entire directory behind.  If there's an error, I guess the log file
should be preserved.

Actually, I don't understand why anyone should ever use --clean now.  Is
there ever a reason to do so?  Maybe it should just be a synonym for --tidy?

Also, I noticed this bit:

    case $build_mode in
      local) clean=true;  tidy=false;;

So what gets cleaned in the local case?  Like before, the temp dir we
use for the makeinfo expansions and stuff?

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit adrift ...

Thanks,
karl