Re: [help-texinfo] RE: bibtex

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] RE: bibtex
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:44:34 -0600

Karl Berry wrote:
> How unfortunate.  It seems that the mailman interface doesn't allow
> changing this.  (It's actually the pipermail built into mailman, not
> MHonArc, afaik.)

Please take a look at the HTML footer at the bottom of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-texinfo/2004-12/threads.html.

The sysadmins have made a good decision, IMHO, in using MHonArc rather
than pipermail for archiving lists.  Why?  pipermail has historically
been a huge load on hosts I've run.  In any case, you definitely won't
be able to change the setting in the mailman front-end.  You'll likely
have to ask the GNU sysadmins to look into it for you.

> There is a plain text archive at ftp://lists.gnu.org/help-texinfo,
> FWIW.  (Most GNU lists are there.)

Excellent!  I hadn't known about this (even though I probably should
have).

> Maybe if the content-type is application/octet-stream instead of
> text/plain, mailman leaves it alone.

I'm sure you'ld have to base64 encode the attachment and tell mailman to
accept application/octet-stream for the list before archiving it
(perhaps not a good idea, given the worms and viruses floating about).
Still, that doesn't affect how MHonArc displays the attachment once it
does make it to the archive.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/