Re: [help-texinfo] Wish: --split-level

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Wish: --split-level
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:09:36 +0200

>>> "Karl" == Karl Berry <address@hidden> writes:

 >     - creating symlinks for all the pruned sub nodes, pointing to the
 >       non-pruned parent.

 >     - creating the subnodes anyway, with their real contents.  Yes, this

 > Sorry to say that I think either of these cures are worse than the disease.
 > People expect the files to be created to be the ones that asked for, not
 > every possible combination ...

 > If we create every possible output, then what's the point of having
 > split-level?  Which is where we started.

The problem (in my view) is not the existence of small files, but the
absence of more self contained complete nodes.  Because of the
splitting I sometimes resort to using long tables to be sure I won't
be cut.

I have nothing against that long series of @subsubsection files, I
deeply regret I can't see the @subsection as a whole (e.g.,
http://www.lrde.epita.fr/dload/maintain.html/Maintaining-ChangeLog.html).

I don't think that's worse than the disease: having more files than
needed is a reasonable trade to enjoy adjustable splitting levels.

Especially in the case of simple symlinks that make this quite free.