Persistent TeX \def's in texinfo source

From: Charlie Zender
Subject: Persistent TeX \def's in texinfo source
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:00:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am trying to define some shortcut macros for the TeX pieces
of some TeXInfo source. The TeXInfo source has multiple TeX
sections, i.e.,
@tex
\pi^2 \sim  10
@end tex.
My goal is to create shortcut TeX commands for some of the
more complicated expressions. Near the top of the TeXInfo document
I've placed a body of TeX macro definitions like this
@tex
\def\pisqr{\pi^2}
@end tex
However these definitions do not seem to persist down into
the body of the document. If I place the definitions in the
@tex ... @end tex block where they are used, then they are
valid only within that block and cannot be used later.

Is it possible to define persistent TeX macros that last across
@tex ... @end tex blocks? If so, how?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, zender at uci dot edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100