on using `makeinfo --no-split' to solve filename conflicts

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: on using `makeinfo --no-split' to solve filename conflicts
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:03:35 +0100

Hi!

The Texinfo manual explains that info files are, by default,
split into 50kb-or-so chunks.   I guess the point is to bound
memory usage?  Still, 50kb seems a rather low threshold today.

Would you have any advice against the use of
`makeinfo --no-split' in a project like Automake,
where the manual is rather small?  (I'm speaking about
Automake itself, not projects using Automake.)

~/projs/cvs/automake/branch-1-7 % ls -1hs automake.info*
4.0K automake.info
 48K automake.info-1
 56K automake.info-2
 56K automake.info-3
 56K automake.info-4
 40K automake.info-5

What else could I do so these files do not conflict on system
like DJGPP, with 8+3 filenames?  (Striping the `.info'
extension, as done in Texinfo, obviously isn't enough.)

FWIW, I see that Autoconf has been using --no-split for many
years, for similar reasons.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz