An accented i

From: Jorge Giner Cordero
Subject: An accented i
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:19:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi, I have a problem writing an accented i. I'm using
texinfo 4.1. I've been using the following style:

@'address@hidden

The problem is that if I make a document in TeX with
that it works well, but using makeinfo to make an html
output it outputs something like this, for the word
"características":

caracter'isticas

If I use the following style:

@'i

then the html output works well sending a iacute
symbol, but the TeX output doesn't render well,
because it outputs an i with a dot above and an
accent.

If I use an i accented directly, without using any
macro (like @') and set the documentlanguage (or
documentencoding, I don't remember now) to spanish
(es) then html renders well but not TeX.

Of course the solution will be to make some macro that
renders different using @ifhtml and @iftex directives,
but is a gerat work to have to write a macro everytime
I need an accent.

Maybe it makes no sense to have the html output render
different if I use @'i or @'address@hidden (because it
makes no sense to render an @dotless{i} alone, I
think, without using any macro before), and is better
to treat the two the same. What do you think?

=====
My web at: http://es.geocities.com/jorgicor
jorgicor - Jorge Giner

Yahoo! Messenger