Re: texinfo.tex: @noindent exdents in footnotes

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: texinfo.tex: @noindent exdents in footnotes
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:07:43 -0500

    I expect to have `after' aligned with the wrapped `before'.  but it
    comes out exdented, even more on the left that the footnote number
    itself.

Upon investigation, I'm not sure this is a bug.

Texinfo footnote style apparently does not indent first lines at all.
Generally, a footnote paragraph appears like this:

   text text text ...
   more text more text more more more ...

where all lines are indented by the same amount.  (The footnote number
is offset left into the indentation on the first line.)  This wasn't a
conscious choice on anyone's part (that I know of), but it doesn't seem
bad to me, and is pretty standard typesetting practice as far as I know.

There *was* a bug where a second paragraph did not have this (so-called)
hanging indentation.  It would appear like this:

   second second second ...
more more more more ...

instead of like this:

   second second second
   more more more

I fixed that.

In your example, I suspect you were being misled because of the newline
you have after the { in @footnote{:

    Some address@hidden

That end-of-line created an extra space in the output between the
footnote number and the footnote text (`Before'), making it appear that
the first paragraph is indented.  If you put an @c after the {, that
extra space will go away.

Finally, as for the @noindent, simply take it out, and it will appear to
be @noindented (because it is indented :).

I could rewrite footnote formatting so that they are typeset the same
way as normal text, that is, without hanging indentation, but I'm not
sure that would necessarily be a good thing and don't see any compelling
reason to do so.  What do you think?

My best advice is not to use footnotes.  Especially not
multiple-paragraph footnotes.  Especially not multiple-paragraph
footnotes with examples.

Hope this helps :).

karl