Re: Latest texi/info to www

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Latest texi/info to www
Date: 19 Jul 2001 07:30:16 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On 19 Jul 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> > But in the case being discussed here, I can't think of another handy
> > way besides html to access the info files on a remote machine.
>
> Emacs (run remotely with set DISPLAY=) comes to mind ;-)

Erk... I guess I never did mention that this comes up most often for
me when on a school windows machine with no ssh tools installed.  I
keep my home machine locked down pretty tight so am loath to enable
telnet or ftp.  Ftp wouldn't help anyway unless emacs were installed
on the school windows machine. However apache can be run in a secure
way.

With ssh access it isn't an issue unless you wanted other classmates
to be able to access the same stuff you see. In this case none of them
are emacs users anyway, so even if I enabled telnet it wouldn't help
much.  Many computer users at school know nothing of emacs, but know
how to browse with IExplorer... he he.

Bringing the wealth of material available in info format into play for
web browsing would be/is very cool.